Saturday, September 30, 2017

Cold Storage



I haven't talked much about our lives outside the project so far, but here goes...  We have quit our jobs with the school system so that we may spend part of a year in my wife's home city of Salto, Uruguay in the bosom of her family.  The kids will develop those important bonds with their grandparents, finally learn the language (we should have taught them), and get to know the other half of their cultural roots.

  In the mean time, being unemployed has been the sweetest bliss you can imagine.  Euphoria, rapture, supreme elyssium!

There are some loose ends to tie up, though. For example, storing this boat out of the elements.



  Sure, I could just put the boat in the workshop, but then I wouldn't have a workshop anymore. I just had my dad to saw up some 2x6's and I cut the metal roof back a bit and scabbed them on to the existing rafters.



  The boat itself made a really nice scaffolding to stand on while I set the rafters and nailed on the purlin boards.


  Camila, of course, had to make her own building beside my building.

2 comments:

  1. Quit working while you are young! Why didn't I think of that?

    If you are going to be in Uruguay I hope you will blog about your experiences. Have fun there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan,

    Yeah, it's a great idea, isn't it? The problem is, 'can we make it hold?' We will have to figure something out our this will be just a short retirement from wage-slavery. Sounds like a contradiction in terms, doesn't it? wages and slavery? Still that's how I think of it. Not that I expect to be able to just chew tobacco and shoot cans off the front porch all day, but I'd like to go back to living on my own terms again.

    Anyway, I will be blogging if I have time.

    David

    ReplyDelete