Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Getting Ahead of the Curve

Now that we are looking at two long, square pieces of plywood linguine, It's time to mark out the curves and decks to be cut out.








This is my weapon of choice.  I found this stick in the slab pile behind my dad's sawmill. I was looking for bracing material for setting posts back in August.  After it was tacked up, holding treated posts upright, I noticed that it was a beautiful, knot-free, quarter-sawn oak batten, straight as a pin- not something to be cut up for firewood.







  Here we are, encouraging the batten to take the curve we are looking for.  My lovely assistant, here, is Andrew, my grown up stepdaughter's boyfriend.  He is on leave from his little "job" in the USMC.  I call him my "pet marine."









  Letting the last bit of the batten run free, as per the advice of a prominent internet boat wiseguy.  This is supposed to make the plywood bending go better. 



Andrew looks on in awe (this is actually a yawn) 



The process is very simple, you simply hold the batten with both hands, then trace along it with your third hand.  Andrew helped with this. 

Celebrating a job well done. 





I forgot to take a picture before I started attaching timber to it, but here is the shape cut out.

No comments:

Post a Comment