Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Getting the shape SQUARED away.


    The direction I have chosen to go in order to get what I think of as the best compromise between the design considerations mentioned in the last post is the barge hullform.    I discovered Dave Zeiger's Triloboats a couple of years ago and have been fascinated ever since at such an unorthodox approach. I will not go into a discussion of the merits of square boats here. His site is the place for that.


  I am thinking of a 24 foot hull, 7 feet wide.   The 7 foot beam does not fit Dave's ideal of using full pieces of plywood whenever possible, but he specializes in boats that sane boaters use.  The kind that live mostly in the water. If I try to trailer an 8 foot wide boat with further bits added to the sides, I feel like I may be pushing it.  It hardly seems fair to put constraints on a boat such that it has to be a creature of both water AND highway, but it is a mode that has proven effective for people living an inland life. C'est la vie.

 The cabin will be Birdwatcher style, with tinted windows and an open walkway down the middle.  A little self-bailing well in the bow will provide a handy place for anchors, rode, and children.

  Something like a bigger version of Dave's T16X4


Or Jim Michalak's Jewelbox.





Here is a childish doodle I made of the idea, complete with a scaled family:



I'm not actually as good-looking as the father in the drawing, but I was being optimistic.

The rig shown is a standard Hasler-Mcleod junk set in a tabernacle, offset to port.  200 square feet is the sail area for Jim Michalak's Petesboat, which is very similar in size and design so I drew a sail with that area. It is a starting place.  The details of the rig may change as the design develops. 








No comments:

Post a Comment